Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pesto anyone?

Two years ago, my neighbor Jean made and froze pesto. I didn't have time to join in the making so Jean gave me some of hers to try and I fell in love. I've always really liked pesto but this was frozen and just so unbelievably fresh tasting. So, the plan was for us to have a pesto production day. It only took 2 years for it to happen. But today was the day.

We were at the Farmer's Market early this morning to get the fresh basil. Luckily we had some choices and we ended up with 2 different varieties. Now anyone who has made pesto knows it's really easy to do so once all the prep was done, it was fast and we were done with our 3 double batches. All that's left is the eating. Tomorrow it's a pesto omelet first thing in the morning!

So now we're on the search for other things to make and freeze, taking advantage of all our great local produce right now. I would love to go into winter with a freezer full of homemade good food. Stouffer's (my lunch staple) might go out of business though...

No comments: