Sunday, September 7, 2008

My neighborhood

The street where I live is only one block long and is just one leg of an "E" in the middle of the city. It's a quiet, diverse little street with friendly neighbors. Tonight was our Block party. By the time it was over we had already planned a fish fry for the end of the month, carolling at Christmas and the first block party next spring.

To see my neighborhood, it certainly doesn't look very special. The houses are smaller, the people aren't wealthy. I have loved it since the day I moved in 16 years ago. Lots of people have come and gone but the feeling continues. This block party just reminded me of why I love this neighborhood. It's the people.

We all need more warm fuzzies these days. For me, this block party with my neighbors was a huge warm fuzzy. Try it yourself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inquiring minds want to know.......what dish did you bring to the block party.
The answer is not : "the red one"!!!

Pat

Anonymous said...

I decided I was worrying about it too much and I went to my favorite little tiny Mexican restaurant down the street and bought many orders of the best guacamole ever (not including Jon's). The great thing was that not one person who complimented it had ever been to the little restaurant even though it's so close. Hopefully we've bumped up the business for another small local enterprise!

Anonymous said...

You so rock!